19 June 2009

Day 2 of The Quest for the Quill of Inspiration: Acknowledging the Difficulty


“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race.” ~Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)~



It's Day 2 in my Quest for the Quill of Inspiration, and I've once again found it in "The Writer's Idea Book". I'm finding this book to be one my most prized writing resources. On my 31st birthday this past Monday, I made myself a promise that I would write every single day. If I want to be a writer, I need to act like one. I no longer have the confines of a 9-5 job, so I have plenty of time to devote to the practice that I treasure so much. The excuses are gone. I've decided to treat my writing time like brushing my teeth. I have to do it every day, lest I end up with furry teeth. Armed with the dental floss for my mind (Jack Heffron's trusty book), I'm slowly flossing away the plaque of Writer's Block.

In his book, Heffron advises to acknowledge writing is hard. His advice is to write down how to strike the delicate balance of willpower and relaxation, stubbornness with joy. (Pg.8) I've decided the minute the coffee is brewed, I'm grabbing a cuppa and flipping open the laptop to my blogspot. Currently, soothing music flows from the speakers as I set my fingers to the keys and type. Ah, a sense of accomplishment in peaceful setting, doing what I love. Relaxation, indeed.

For those that are familiar with my style of writing, I'm very good at streaming consciousness. Obviously, writing reflects your thoughts and flows onto the paper as they , but for me, writing is more often than not, problem-solving on paper. It's my therapy. My zen. And as I continue streaming, I am wondering how in the hell I've let my writing practice go unpracticed for so long. Wrapped in the quiet of the morning, I truly feel like I'm in my element. I feel like I am accomplishing something. I'm smiling out loud as I type, for I am actually doing what I was born to do, regardless of renumeration. I am compensated generously with peace of mind, which to me, is the first ingredient to success.

As much as I love writing, I've determined that like anything else, perfecting it takes due diligence. As a former competition swimmer, I dedicated my free time while in season to fine-tuning my stroke technique, building my endurance and learning new skills that would enhance my performance. That was time well-spent, as far as I was concerned. I met and exceeded my goals constantly. My intention with starting my writing practice is to set, meet and exceed my goals constantly. The first step is to put forth the effort to hone the skill I have, while doing the necessary things to further develop it. It is going to take work, dedication and pure intention. The pure intention is easy; it's the dedication and work that is more difficult, but I shall prevail. I'm challenging myself, here and now, to succeed as a writer. And I've never been one to fail at a challenge given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment