26 June 2009

Divine Recognition


"Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery


I sort of agree with this quote. I definitely agree with the latter part, but am not quite so hot on the former, not entirely, anway.


I believe that in order to have love, you do have to gaze at each other first, as an acknowledgement and recognition of the Divine in one another. In my experience, after the gazing comes recognition; that recognition of "Ah, there is the Divine in you, just as it is in me." Maybe not everyone can see this. Maybe not everyone honors this as I do. Maybe this is not everyone's process.


Perhaps this may be subjective, but to me, that recognition needs to happen before I can look anywhere with someone else, be it a lover, child, co-worker, Pope. A personal example of my process was when I met my husband. There was an instantaneous spark of recognition that absolutely lit my heart on fire. I literally thought to myself, "Oh boy, here we go."


Once that fire was lit, the walls within me went down and I opened myself up to him. I opened up to so much, and allowed myself to see the direction he wanted to go, and vice versa. How can one see what direction the two (or three or four) are going if the Divine recognition has not happened? How can one open for allowing and accepting the Divinity of the other if that Divine recognition has not happened? Perhaps that is a different discussion for a different post? :)


Personally, I think there is so much strife in the world today because we simply do not take the time to recognize (and honor) the Divine within one another. I've attached a poem of mine titled "Recognition" to perhaps illustrate my point a little bit better.

RECOGNITION

I've known you before
I recognize your eyes
Curious, I gaze intently
Desiring fervently to invoke
The sleeping recognition that
Rests soundly in your subconscious mind
The intersection of our souls
Populates the map of Karma
That has been laid before us
We stand, woven together with the thread
Of Karmic Retribution, we stare
Disbelieving at first, but curious nonetheless
We gaze deeper into one another's eyes
And the spark of recognition ignites
You slowly remember me
For a split second, everything falls
Serenely quiet and suddenly I know
I am now looking straight at the person
My incarnate soul was born loving
One whose tranquil presence
Seems to embody deep love and spirituality
And I hold you tightly in my arms
The embrace of all things dreamlike and receptive,
Such as perfect and unconditional love.
© Heather Sewell 9-Sept-08

No comments:

Post a Comment