22 June 2009

Day 4 of The Quest for the Quill of Inspiration: Procrastination


"Procrastination is opportunity's natural assassin." ~Victor Kiam (1926-2001)~



I am the Master of Procrastination, ashamed as I am to say. It's an annoying habit as well as the most difficult to overcome. I've been fighting it for years, and just when I think I've got it licked, it snakes its way back into my daily activites...or lack thereof. It's like a cancer that won't go into remission, no matter how many different types of chemotherapy I undergo.


Everything in my life, including writing to dyeing my hair has been affected by this cancerous procrastination. In fact, as I type, I'm fighting the urge to wait until later to finish this blog. It's a terrible thing, this procrastination. It's been one of the biggest contributing factors to the writer's block I've been suffering from recently. God, will it ever leave me in peace so that I may write the novel I've had percolating through my brain for years now? I need a miracle.


I find that I am almost struggling today to write, almost like I have nothing to say but I'm forcing myself to. In a way, I am forcing my writing, like a caterpillar working its way out of the cocoon. I'm having a hard time envisioning the colorful butterfly that will emerge, but I am pressing on regardless. I'm determined that when I'm in a mood like I am right now, persistence will lead meto the ability to crank out page upon page of blessed, divinely inspired writing.


As I think about procrastination, I think of how I will surely fail if I succomb to the seductive pull of delay. I'm doing nothing but showing myself my lack of commitment and desire to actually make my writing practice work. I really don't feel like disappointing myself any further; I've done it for too long already.
The time is now. I wait no longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment