18 June 2009

Day 1 of the Quest for the Quill of Inspiration: Goals, Anyone?


When I had a 9-5 job, I dreamed of being able to have the free time to just write. Oh, the things I would do if I could just be left alone to write. Well, it's been three months exactly since I was laid off from that 9-5 job and what have I done, in terms of writing? Not much.

Why? I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's because the peace and quiet is so overwhelming I can't concentrate. Maybe it's because I get sucked in to Perez Hilton instead of committing to my daily practice. All I know is, there is so much locked inside just waiting to get out and I need to be more diligent. I need to set some goals. Lay out a plan. Seek inspiration daily. Something. Anything.

I purchased "The Writer's Idea Book" by Jack Heffron last night and cracked it open a few minutes go. I did not even get past the first page before inspiration struck. In fact, I did not even get to Mr. Heffron's words, I got stuck at a quote that was placed before the opening sentence:

"It's good to have an end to journey toward; but it's the journey that matters, in the end." ~Ursula K. Leguin~ (Pg. 6)

It dawned on me all of a sudden that I don't even have an end to journey towards. Oh, what a sad state I'm in. I need to get it together, otherwise I'm going to continue being the stagnant, frustrated writer that I am now. How am I supposed to go somewhere when I don't even know where I want to go? A conundrum, indeed.

After further reading into the first chapter of "The Writer's Idea Book", I've decided to follow the instructions of the first prompt, which are to sit at my desk for a certain amount of time every day. I don't have to write, but I can't do anything else, either. At least I'm making the attempt to "show up", which, according to Woody Allen, is 80% of the battle.

Seeing as how I don't do very well being idle, my first attempt at sitting at my desk resulted in a blog about writer's block and lack of goals. Well, I have to start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment